Cara from Hello Moonpie is back again with a super colorful and fun spin
art spider craft. How adorable are these brightly colored spiders?! I
cannot even wait to try these out with my kids! Ok over to you Cara.
We’ve got quite a few Halloween crafting traditions at our house
(Peek-A-Boo Ghostie Mansions, Paper Frankenstein Lanterns,
Masking Tape Mummies) but these psychedelic spin art spiderwebs are
consistently at the very tip-top of our fun list every year because SPIN ART!
And GOOGLY EYED SPIDIES!!
Let’s get right down to it, shall we?
For the Psychedelic Spin Art Webs you’ll need:
This list contains affiliate links.
- Paint, preferably with squirty tips like IKEA Mala paint. We’ve got
a fun hack on our tips page if you don’t have this kind of paint.
- Salad Spinner
- White Paper
- Black Sharpie or Marker
- Transparent Tape
For each spider you will need:
- 4 Popsicle Sticks
- Black Acrylic Paint
- Pink Craft Foam
- Googly Eyes
- Small Circle cut from cardboard (I traced the bottom of a jar of
rubber cement to give you an idea of size)
- Hot Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
How To Make Your Spin Art Spider Web
1. Cut a piece of paper into a circle that will fit inside your salad spinner.
2. To stop your paper from flying up while being spun around, make a
couple of transparent tape loops and stick them to the back of your circle
then stick down in the salad spinner.
3. Squirt paint on top of the paper circle. You can experiment with tiny dots
and big puddles, zig-zags and lines, one color at a time or all the colors at
once — there is no wrong way to spin art!
4. Pop the lid on and spin, spin, spin your web paper. Take the lid off and
gasp at its glory! Or add some more paint if it’s not quite what you hoped,
and spin it all over again and THEN gasp at its glory 😉
5. It’s probably going to take a while to dry, but once it is all done, bust out
a Sharpie and draw some spiderweb-ish lines on top of your spin art circle
masterpiece. I showed my daughter how I draw webs and then set her free
to do it her own way, no need to worry about perfection.
1. Paint one side and the edges of all four popsicle sticks and the cardboard
circle body with black acrylic paint, and let them all dry.
2. To make the legs of your spider stack the dried popsicle sticks on top of
each other and fan them out on the sides so the only place they all meet is
the center. Hot glue the sticks into place after you know how you want
them to be arranged.
3. Add googly eyes and a craft foam mouth to your spider head/body.
Once you’re done, hot glue it to the center of the top popsicle stick.
4. Now, all that’s left to do is hot glue your cute little spidey to his or her
psychedelic spin art web and you’ve got yourself a spooktacular Halloween
TAG US IN YOUR SPIN ART SPIDER CREATIONS:
Spread the word and Pin and Facebook share with your friends!
Cara Huff is a homeschooling stay-at-home momma who loves books, art and STEAMY projects. If you like this project, you can find all of Cara’s other brightly colored and super fun ideas on Instagram, her blog Hello Moonpie, and on Facebook.