Oh St. Valentines Day, how I love you! Valentines Day for me is a double whammy 1. St. Valentines is the patron saint of love (and I love to love! I love hearing about love, watching loving moments and giving my love to others) 2. One of the most FUN ways to love is to create – to put on your thinking cap and think of what will put the sparkle into that special someone’s eye, and make their heart skip. This could be creating a plan of an awesome adventure, or special day, or creating a poem, or story, it could be creating a mouth watering meal, or my bread and butter something a little more crafty, like a card or in this case, a HUG!
This list contains affiliate links.
- Paper – Preferably card or a heavier stock like watercolor paper, but any paper can do, use what you have!
- Paint – I find the best paints to use for painting hand prints are washable tempera paint, be sure to check the label to make sure it says non-toxic
- Paint Brush
- Ribbon – or string
PARENT TIP: I find it’s best to do hand stamping when your little creative is rested, fed and happy!
1. GATHER all your supplies.
2. EXPLAIN the project to your little creative, let them know you’re going to paint their hands and create a pretend ‘hug’ to send to someone special.
3. BRUSH the paint on your creative’s hand, we chose red, but any color will do. Make sure their hand is fully covered, don’t be shy! Also, be sure to follow step 4 straight away so the paint doesn’t dry.
DISCUSS: how does the paint feel on their hand?! if you’re not sure yourself, you might want to try it too! … go on 😉
4. GUIDE your creative’s hand to the paper, then ask them to keep their hand still as you gently press on the top of it to ensure an actual hand print. Once you’ve pressed down gently lift up their hand. It might take 1 or 2 tries to get a good one. You’ll need a right hand print and a left hand print.
5. CUT around both prints.
6. MEASURE your string or ribbon across your child’s chest, from one hand to the other, then cut it.
7. TAPE one side of the string to the back of one hand, and the other to the back of the other hand.
DISCUSS: some other ways we can show people we love them.
8. SEND or give your hug to someone special.
My Take Away:
Since its the season of love, love has been on my mind for the last 2 weeks, and with love on my mind, what have I noticed more of? Yup, LOVE! I have been noticing more loving moments every day, especially between my little creatives. This has made me want to keep love in my mind for longer! With this said, I am challenging myself to notice more moments of love, and keep LOVE on the forefront of my mind, and I challenge you to do the same! 🙂
Do Tell: Leave a Comment Below
- Do you have any tips for doing child handprints?